Tuesday, March 24, 2015

This is it!

On July 18th, I sent an email to a complete stranger.

"Hi! I live in Jacksonville, FL and I heard about your story on Facebook. I am absolutely interested in getting tested to see if I could be a match for Raleigh. Could you please send me some information on how I can do that? Thank you so much!" 

246 days later, I'm resting comfortably in my room at the Mayo Clinic. In about 10 hours, I'll be undergoing surgery to donate my left kidney and kick off a donor chain that will save 5 lives. Talk about a crazy feeling!

I haven't felt nervous all day, but the change in my blood pressure from this morning to when I checked into my room would tell you differently! My room is seriously almost as big as my entire house! I politely sent my family back to my house a couple of hours ago (sorry mom & dad!) so that I could have some alone time to rest & relax. I'm now realizing that's not going to happen, lol! People are going to be in and out of here all night. I've met with my anesthesiologist a little bit ago, and my nurse just brought me my "sparkling laxative." It tastes like heavy, sweet lemon syrup. Can't wait to get that show on the road...

I'll be getting my IV started around 9pm. Around 3:30am, they'll bring me down to the OR to get ready, and my surgery will start around 5am. I should hopefully be done and closed up by the time most of you are arriving at work!! 

I have so many things I want to say, and so many people I want to thank, but right now I'm having trouble finding the words. This whole journey has been absolutely amazing, and I'm so excited for Todd to get his new kidney tomorrow! 

This is officially my last post as an owner of two kidneys! Please, please send all your positive thoughts and prayers to all of us involved in the chain tomorrow, as well as our family, doctors, nurses, etc. 

Let's do this!!

No comments:

Post a Comment