Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Moving forward, slowly but surely!

Not much of an update, but I did briefly speak with someone at the Mayo Clinic today, so I wanted to share. I was able to give the transplant center some of my information today, and they will enter that into their system and I'll be officially registered. After that happens, I'll receive a call from the donor coordinator and she'll go through some questions with be about my medical history. From that point, a kit will be sent to me to take to a lab to give blood and tissue samples, and the results will be sent to Mayo. It typically takes 7-10 days to get the results back. Assuming my results are good and I don't have any unforeseen illness that would prevent me from donating, the next step will be the 4-5 days of testing at the hospital. I won't need to be admitted, it's all outpatient type of stuff, but it will be 4-5 full days there. I still have a lot of questions about this whole process, so I'm really anxious to get to talk to the donor coordinator and get started with everything. I'm learning very quickly that is going to be a long process, and that I really need to have patience. I'm also learning that I need to stop researching and reading living kidney donor blogs right before bed, because then my mind starts going in a million different directions and it's impossible to go to sleep!

I started the Couch to 5k program (again) tonight, and it felt great! Over the last year I've really focused a lot on being healthier and exercising more, and have lost quite a bit of weight. I did this all before I ever even thought of becoming a donor, but now that I have I'm even more glad that I made those changes. I know it's very important to keep myself healthy, now more than ever. It will be beneficial to my recovery, but more importantly it will ensure that I'm giving someone the healthiest kidney I possibly can! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment