Friday, September 26, 2014

My testing is done!

It's hard to believe how fast these last three weeks have gone by! Wednesday was my final day of testing. I met with a transplant social worker, and had to bring along a caregiver. Since any family that will be here for the surgery lives out of state, my sweet friend Caroline came with me to the appointment. The meeting was to make sure I had a plan in place for after the surgery, because I'm going to need a lot of help. The meeting was pretty easy. I think Caroline only needed to be there for about 5 minutes, so I felt a little bad that she came all the way there for that, but I definitely appreciate it! I know for sure that my dad will be here for the surgery, but not sure yet about any other family. I don't expect him to stay the whole 2 weeks (or maybe more) that I'll be off work, so I'm glad Caroline is here to step in and help me out too. I can't think of a better care giver! I know she'll give me the 5 star treatment. :) The rest of the appointment was basically just talking with the social worker about me, my family and friends, my lifestyle, etc to see if there is anything that might be greatly impacted by the surgery. The social worker didn't have any concerns about anything. 

That was basically it as far as my appointments! As of Thursday, I still hadn't recieved the results of my biopsy, so I called Rhonda, the pre-transplant coordinator. She checked, and the results were in, so she was able to tell me everything came back negative, so I'm in the clear! Now I can breath a big sigh of relief! As far as next steps, she said they are waiting in a couple of the doctors to enter their notes from their meetings with me. As long as they get everything in, I'll be presented to the board next week, and I'll receive a phone call shortly after with the good news! At this point, I'm 99.999999% sure I will be approved, which is exciting!! At that point, I'll have to make my final decision as to whether I want to be part of a donor chain, or just be matched to an individual. She also mentioned they are currently working on a 15 person chain that they may be able to get me in on if I decide to go that route. I'm still trying to decide, and hoping for a sign, gut feeling, something to help steer me in the right direction.

I probably won't have much to update until I get the phone call, but I can't wait to share that news with everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment